Acne is a common skin condition that results in pimples, whiteheads and blackheads. It develops when your skin products excess oil or your pores get clogged due to dirt or oil. Some people have acne-prone skin, others have flawless acne-free skin, it all depends n a number of factors that includes climate, skin condition, hereditary, hormones etc. Mostly, teenagers have to go through a phase when their skin becomes acne-prone, however, it can be treated easily.
Whatever the cause of acne may be, you can prevent them from forming on your skin; of you follow these simple prevention method and treatments.
Ways to prevent acne and pimples
- Wash your face minimum twice a day with a facewash that targets acne and pimples. Look for ingredients like neem, tea tree oil, salicylic acid and soldium sulfacetamide, and benzoyl peroxide.
- Avoid eating food items that cause acne. There are three major food classes that cause acne, the are- hypergycemic carbohydrates, milk and dairy products and saturated fats.
- Use only non-comedogenic products on your face as it will not clog your pores. Avoid products that are oil based; instead, opt for products that are water based.
- Keep all products that you use on your face clean and hygienic. From makeup brushes to facial sponges, keep everything clean and tidy. If you don’t clean them properly the bacteria can build-up which is a major cause of acne.
- Change your pillow covers once a week as it can help your skin stay away from acne-causing bacteria’s.
Ways to treat existing acne and pimples
- Use tea tree oil for spot treatment. It has the ability to fight bacteria and reduce skin inflammation.
- Use over the counter antibacterial spot treatment or cleansers that are full of benzoyl peroxide.
- Products that contain retinoids as it helps in unclogging pores and reduce oiliness from the skin.
- Use a toner that treats oil toners work well with acne-prone skin.
- Visit a dermatologist to get your skin checked as some acne cannot be treated at home. Get expert advice if nothing works for you.
Try out these treatments and prevention methods and share your experience with us in the comments section below. We would love to know your favorite spot-treatment or acne remedy.